[mythtv-users] OT: building an HD Frontend for $250 or less

john sturgeon john.sturgeon at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 21:42:04 UTC 2005

On 6/6/05, Mudit Wahal <mwahal at gmail.com> wrote:

> S-out != HD Frontend
> VGA-component converted -- add another $100 (AA 9A60)
> Or get a nvidia card which has component out (similarly priced).
>
> So, your cost is now $350 instead of 250.
>
> If you want to run mythfrontend only with HD capabilities, then PC is
> probably your only option (other than Roku HD1000, which has myth
> frontend ported and its 299).
>
> But if you are open to other things and dont mind tinkering with linux
> server applications etc than look at IOdata AVeL Link Player 2
> (http://www.iodata.com) . Its network dvd player with HD capabilities,
> has windows and linux server, supports Mpeg2-TS stream. Check out the
> avsforum, there is a 150 page thread on the player. The player is $250
> at the iodata us site. Slim dvd player profile, no hard drives, no
> fans, component output, extreme WAF ! Also does upscaling of the dvds
> (unofficially).
>
> I'm recording stuff from HD3000 but I'm going to get LP2 for the
> frontend. Buffalo has a similar product (Link Theater) but it still
> has lots of bugs.
>
> Thanks
> Mudit

My I-O Data AvelLink player is arriving tomorrow
(http://www.sturgeonfamily.com/2005/06/my-new-cheap-hd-frontend-for-mythtv.php)!
 I'll post something on my weblog as soon as I have a chance, but for
me it seems like the absolute best HD frontend option ($249.00).  The
Buffalo player was an option, but if memory serves me right, it's
around the $400 neighborhood.

--
John Sturgeon <><
http://www.sturgeonfamily.com/mythtv.php