[mythtv-users] Audio Setup

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jul 31 13:28:27 EDT 2005

Marty Ravell wrote:

> Well, I’ve finally gotten around to trying to finish the setup of my
> MythTV box. (Such a pity when work gets in the way of personal projects).
>
> This may be a silly question but I am wondering about the setup of
> audio in my particular rig. I have a straight combined front and back
> end box based on Jarod’s Guide with FC3, a Hauppage 350 in an Intel
> motherboard that has a basic sound card in it.
>
> So my question is, if the 350 has audio input and output do I use
> these or do I go with the motherboard’s onboard audio?

All MPEG-2 playback using the PVR-350's onboard decoder will result in
sound output only through the PVR-350 audio out. All other playback
(MPEG-4, anything in MythVideo, MythDVD, MythMusic, etc.) will result in
sound output only through the soundcard audio out.

> Do I need to route the 350’s audio back through the embedded audio
> perhaps?

Yep. PVR-350 audio out to soundcard line in.

> Can someone please explain the way that a rig based on a 350 should work?

You just did. ;)

> BTW. I’m doing X over the 350 and this at lest seems to work OK.
> Haven’t got the tuner to work properly yet but plan to post another
> email to this list shortly.

Don't set any tuner parameters and it should work. (I.e. if you have a
line "options tuner type=XX" or "options ivtv tuner=XX" in your
mod{ules,probe}.conf, take it out. As a matter of fact, you should not
specify any options relating to ivtv.) If it still doesn't work, you
almost definitely have some other place where some script is setting
it... IvyTV ML is probably more appropriate, though...

Mike