[mythtv-users] LiveTV bails out after two seconds

Leif B. Kristensen leif at solumslekt.org
Fri Jul 29 10:23:34 EDT 2005

On Friday 29 July 2005 15:55, James Fryman wrote:
> Tore my hair out... and so two things have come out of it.
> 1) I'm bald.
> 2) Even better, I found a solution.
>
> What I ended up doing was actually starting mythbackend and
> mythfrontend as the user who was going to access the system (mythuser
> in my case), and I no longer loss LiveTV ability.
>
> The socket problem *I believe* is related to the fact that the system
> is attempting to access the capture device and does not have accesss
> to it. As far as I know, solutions to this would be to run
> mythfrontend as SUID root or to run the frontend/backed as the user.
> I don't know if this is a catchall, but try it out and let me know if
> it works for you. Good luck!

Sorry 'bout your hair :)

I'm trying your tip right now. I first got a message about mythbackend
being unable to access the file /var/video/nfslockfile.lock. That one
was trivial, I just did a chmod a+w on that file. Now, when I start
mythbackend from Konsole, I get this message:

leif at bellevue ~ $ mythbackend
2005-07-29 16:09:21.776 New DB connection, total: 1
Starting up as the master server.
2005-07-29 16:09:21.782 New DB connection, total: 2
Error getting inputs for the capturecard.  Perhaps you have
forgotten to bind video sources to your card's inputs?
2005-07-29 16:09:21.789 Channel(/dev/v4l/video0): CheckChannel failed.
Please verify channel "3" in the "setup" Channel Editor.

Starting mythfrontend and try to watch TV now, I get a black screen with
the message "1: composite 0" appearing briefly in the upper left corner
in large letters.

I guess that binding video sources to my card's inputs is easy when you
know how to do it, but could you please give me a hint on that one too?
--
Leif Biberg Kristensen
http://solumslekt.org/