[mythtv-users] [OT] UPS's and 24x7 MythBoxen...

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Wed Jul 27 12:37:11 EDT 2005

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 11:18:58AM -0500, Andrew Close wrote:
> so, i was wondering what types of UPS systems are other MythUsers
> using?  and what would you recommend?

I am using an APC "Back-UPS ES 725".  It talks to the Linux box via USB
cable so that the box is always aware of the UPS battery capacity and
will automatically perform an orderly shutdown when the batteries reach
5% remaining capacity or the UPS says there is only 3 minutes left.
When line power is back, the UPS automatically turns itself back on
when the batteries reach 15% charge, and the BIOS in my computer is set
to turn on when power is restored.

My Linux box is a 2.8GHz P4 with 512Mb, three hard drives, network and
tuner cards.  The UPS also powers the cable modem and router and a 9"
colour CRT.  According to the apc status, the ES725 can keep that
running for just over an hour.