[mythtv-users] Kudos and need help installing second tuner

Jason Mcmillon jmcmillon at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 20:27:30 EDT 2005

On 7/25/05, Jason Mcmillon <jmcmillon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/25/05, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 7/25/05, Jason Mcmillon <jmcmillon at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Kudos to the MythTV developers.  Excellent work on a great piece of software.
> > >
> > > Now on to my problem. I have successfully installed a PVR 250 using
> > > Jarod's guide on an Asus P4P800-E motherboard with a NVidia FX 5500
> > > video card.
> > >
> > > I am trying to add an additional software based Hauppauge WinTV card
> > > with no luck.
> > >
> > > /sbin/lspci -v shows:
> > > 02:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16 (CX23416)
> > > MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
> > >        Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV PVR 250
> > >        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 201
> > >        Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
> > >        Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
> > >
> > > 02:0b.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video Capture (
> > > rev 11)
> > >        Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV Series
> > >        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
> > >        Memory at f7efe000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
> > >        Capabilities: [44] Vital Product Data
> > >        Capabilities: [4c] Power Management version 2
> > >
> > > 02:0b.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture (rev 11
> > > )
> > >        Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV Series
> > >        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
> > >        Memory at f7eff000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
> > >        Capabilities: [44] Vital Product Data
> > >        Capabilities: [4c] Power Management version 2
> > >
> > > ll /dev/video? shows:
> > >
> > > crw-------  1 mythtv root 81, 0 Jul 24 09:55 /dev/video0
> > >
> > > The WinTV card was autoinstalled under Fedora and my
> > > /etc/modprobe.conf now looks like:
> > > # nvidia kernel module
> > > alias char-major-195 nvidia-1_0-7667
> > > alias nvidia nvidia-1_0-7667
> > >
> > > # ivtv modules setup
> > > alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
> > > alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv
> > > alias msp3400 msp3400-ivtv
> > > install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install lirc_i2c
> > > alias char-major-81 bttv
> > >
> > > I have tried both "alias char-major-81 bttv" and "alias
> > > char-major-81-1 bttv" with no luck.
> > >
> > > BTW, running "/sbin/depmod -a" followed by "/sbin/modprobe bttv"
> > > yields the following error:
> > > FATAL: Error inserting bttv
> > > (/lib/modules/2.6.11-1.35_FC3smp/kernel/drivers/media/video/bttv.ko):
> > > Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
> > >
> > > I am pretty new to linux, and was hoping someone could point me in the
> > > right direction on how to get my two cards to play well together.
> >
> > You should be able to get them both working. I had 2 bttv cards inmy
> > system until I swapped them for DVB-T cards which is why it's
> > commeneted out in my modprobe.conf below. I think you may need to add
> > an option line to tell it which card ID it is and the tuner number to
> [...]

Success!!  What I ended up doing is removing the IVTV drivers (via
apt-get remove) and commenting the ivtv stuff out of my modprobe.conf,
then testing it.

My bttv card worked.

I then re-installed the IVTV drivers and it worked again.

Then I added everything back to my modprobe.conf except I commented out
"alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv"

and everything worked!! I probably could have just started out with
commenting out the line, but who knows.

Will commenting out "alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv" hurt me down the road?

Jason