[mythtv-users] 2 PVR-150 Cards Causing Trouble

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 06:26:02 EDT 2005

On 25/07/05, mythtv at cxdonline.com <mythtv at cxdonline.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am having trouble with a 64 bit athlon 3000+ on a Gigabyte GA-K8N mobo
> with PCIexpress. It has a nvidia 6600 PCIe, 1GB of RAM, and SATA1 200 GB.
> It boots and runs fine with one PVR-150 installed. When I install the
> second PVR-150, it will boot if it is cold. When I try a reboot, it will
> not boot. Not even a POST. Later, I come back and it boots. When it does
> boot, both cards work fine, sound and everything, even IR.
> The heat-sink on the processor seems cool to the touch, and no smoke has
> come out yet.
> I have tried every combination of the three PCI slots for these two cards.
> I have increased the RAM DDR voltage by .2 volts, I have checked voltage
> at boot, starts at 12 and for a second goes to 11 and then back steady at
> 12.

Are you seeing this voltage on a scope or on a multi-meter?  Meters
probably don't respond fast enough to give an accurate value.  The
voltage may go lower than the value you see.

> The PSU is a Ahanix MPT-350D and has an AMD sticker on it. It says 15 amps
> on the 12 volt rail, 30 amps on the 5 volt rail, and 14 amps on 3.3v.

The 64 Bit Athlons are reportedly greedy at 12V, I've seen 18A
recommended.  Does your motherboard have the additional 12V PSU
connection, and are you using it?

> Like I said, it boots and runs perfectly with one capture card.
> I had two HDDs in it for a while and it did fine. Does a capture card draw
> that many amps?

They get pretty warm so I guess they draw an Amp or two each.