[mythtv-users] Re: Fixing my "no data" problem in EPG

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Sat Jul 23 20:50:15 EDT 2005

On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 02:19:49PM -0700, Brad wrote:
> Data is already present for Fri Aug 5 2005, skipping
> Adjusting program database end times...
> 0 replacements made.

Some of us Canadians have noticed that many of our listings only have
11 days worth of data while the rest have 14.  (Specifically, the local
and international listings are 14-day, while the national networks
delivered from Toronto are 11-day.)  When mythfilldatabase runs, it
seems to set the "I have data" flag for each date globally rather than
on a channel-by-channel basis.  If there are enough holes in the
schedule then it will retry downloading that day's listings every
night.  Once a certain percentage of the time slots have data in them
myth stops trying to find more data (assuming the holes are "off air"
or "infomercial" time, I guess).  If you have a bunch of 11-day
channels and only a few 14-day channels then this works out OK, as Myth
tries to get days 12 through 14 every night.  If you have mostly 14-day
channels and only a few 11-day channels then those days may be marked
as complete, in which case you don't get any data for the 11-day
channels until the forced "TBD" update the night before the air date.

The obvious solution is to tell mythfilldatabase to limit itself to 10
or 11 days of listings so that there is always data available for the
short-schedule channels on the first attempt.

Other solutions would be to find a way to adjust the threshold
percentage at which a day's schedule is considered complete, or to find
a way to make a certain range of future dates mandatory updates (so
that the percentage of filled time slots is not considered beyond day
10, for example, meaning that days 2, 11, 12, 13 and 14 are all
downloaded every night).  Those probably require hacking the sources.