[mythtv-users] Re: [ATrpms-users] mixer always muted in FC4 with new alsa packages

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 04:13:30 EDT 2005

> Hi, after adding ATRPMS to my yum configuration, and doing yum
> update, the Gnome Mixer is always muted on boot.
>
> I assume this has to do with new alsa packages from ATRPMS.
>
> I'm running FC4 on a Dell Latitude D800 (Intel 8x0m sound card).
>
> I've tried running
> alsactl store 0
> as root
>
> everything was fine before installing the ATRPMS packages.

Yes - this seems to happen on upgrades, I've found. What I do is use a
mixer to get sound working and then save the asound.state file to
something like /etc/asound.state.good using alsactl.

Then I have this line in /etc/rc.local:
/usr/sbin/alsactl -f /etc/asound.state.good restore

Haven't had any problems since I started doing this other than one
version of an alsa upgrade didn't like the format of the saved file so
I had to save it again.

Regards,
Phill