[mythtv-users] Ready for use?

Bryan Halter bhalter at armyofpenguins.com
Thu Jul 21 17:25:09 EDT 2005

greg at nodecam.com wrote:

>>>I have been monitoring this mail list for a while now.  And mythTV looks
>>>

>>very interesting.  And I know it is not released yet.  And to be clear I
>>and not trying to be insulting or start a fight.  But...
>>

>Based on past history on this list, you might get a fight anyway :)
>
>To answer your questions, I've been using it since shortly after 0.17 was
>released, and it works extremely well.  It pays to do your homework on
>hardware imho (not that I did a spectacular job of that either ;)
>
>In fact, it works so well, I have basically retired my ExpressVu PVR, and
>use Myth exclusively.  My only "complaint" (and I put it in quotes because
>it isn't really a big deal) is that live tv is much more awkward than it
>was on the Expressvu pvr.
>
>I find that I almost never watch anything in "liveTV" mode though - I
>watch sports live, but I schedule it to record and watch it from the
>view-recordings screen instead.  I think a lot of that is a side effect of
>having a slow frontend (Xbox)
>
>Channel surfing is right out the window too, but then I'd pretty much
>stopped doing that when I got satellite TV with a proper guide anyway.
>MythWeb is one of the truly great accessories.
>
>Sure, it's not perfect, but I like it a lot, and my wife seems to like it
>better than the old PVR too.
>
>Greg

As someone who's been using it since the .15 days this is an extremely
stable platform for a piece of software labeled as .18.1.  I have a
frame grabber tuner which I'll soon be upgrading to a PVR-500, I record
20 or so shows a day along with automatically deleting old episodes.  I
watch DVDs on the box and use MythWeb for scheduling.  I have no
complaints about this software :) especially once you see how cool it is
to have remote frontends.

--Bryan

--
Bryan Halter