[mythtv-users] hdparm was: MythShyte

Gavin Haslett gavin at nodecaf.net
Wed Jul 20 11:18:13 EDT 2005

hdparm -c1 -d1 -u1 /dev/hdb

This was what I found worked best for me. I set this on all three of my drives during boot in a startup script called "mythhw".

What I looked for was maximum throughput and lowest latency. Basically, I went through the MAN pages for hdparm and tried each setting in turn on a drive other than my OS drive (one of the two mirror set that have my video, recording and SQL databases). Once I did that I ran

hdparm -t /dev/hdb
hdparm -T /dev/hdb

I re-ran these two commands and kept comparing results until I either got no more improvement or started ot make it worse. Then I just rolled back settings until I identified the minimum parameters I needed to get optimum performance.

Sure, I locked my machine hard a couple of times... but it was worth it to get the max performance out of my drives.

Once I had this done, I mirrored the two drives and ran the same tests on /dev/md0 and /dev/md1.

I then tried the same settings with the OS drive to find out if it made a difference... it did... and added that to the mythhw script.

Hope this helps!