[mythtv-users] BackEnd FrontEnd, how does it work??

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 19:31:16 EDT 2005

On 7/12/05, Mr AG <angelisonline at gmail.com> wrote:

>  The thing with this is, having my cable
> box in the basement, means, NOT having it upstairs.... *obvious, I
> know.*

What kind of cable do you get? If it's just analog cable you don't
need to touch the cable box. Just split the cable and send one signal
straight into your Myth backend and your PVR x50 card can do the
tuning. If it's digital cable, you'll need to use IRBlaster, serial,
or firewire to control the cable box from MythTV (to get the digital
channels; the analog channels should come through normally), which may
mean complications with using a frontend remote to change the channels
on the backend (at the very least you'll get a noticable delay in
channel changing, but why would you use Myth to watch live TV?).

In the case of digital, it may be worth buying or renting a cable box
to keep the channel surfing capabilities, if it's important to you.

Other than that, Myth is designed as a distributed backend, frontend
system and there's not a whole lot of trouble getting it set up to do
what you want.

Good Luck