[mythtv-users] hdtv from a cable box

SamS sams2100 at samspam.net
Thu Jul 7 01:01:00 EDT 2005

Kevin Kuphal wrote:

>The pcHDTV cards can capture OTA signals and, by some accounts,
>unencrypted QAM cable content.  Whether your provider delivers the HDTV
>content to you via unencrypted QAM is questionable.  That being said,
>probably the best way to get HDTV into your Myth box from a cable
>provider is firewire.  Get a new cable box with firewire outputs, make
>sure the cable provider outputs the HDTV content unencrypted via the
>firewire port, and you should be good to go.
>
>Kevin

So you're saying that I could possibly just bypass the capture card completely and actually use the cable box as the hdtv capture device if I get one that supports firewire?

If this is the case, then does anyone have any recommendations on what brand/type of hdtv cable box I should request from Comcast?  Or maybe could I buy my own and just make sure I get one that does not encrypt the firewire output?

Thanks for the help!
Adam