[mythtv-users] DVI, LCDs and HDCP

Alex stangage70 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 18:37:42 EST 2005

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:22:41 -0600, Robert Denier <denier at umr.edu> wrote:
> http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=14-131-199&depa=0
> $174 -- powercolor video card.
> Integrated 165 MHz TMDS transmitter (DVI & HDCP compliant)
>
> Will this work?  Will this work in Linux?  I have no idea to either, but
> perhaps its worth a closer look.

Yes, the TMDS encoder may be HDCP compliant, but unless is has the
keys and an HDCP cipher, it doesn't really help...
This is a higher-end ATI card.  And that's the marketing bullet set
which suggest compliancy.

A receiver cannot dictate encryption required.  It is told (via
Encryption Status Signaling) what to do on a per-frame basis.  One
can't enable encryption until link status has been confirmed, yet one
needs an active video signal to start encrypting!