[mythtv-users] DVI, LCDs and HDCP

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Fri Jan 28 16:22:41 EST 2005

The problem is if HDCP is using encryption I would assume that they
didn't mess up as badly with it as with the DVD encryption system, but I
could be wrong.  I have not seriously looked into it so I don't know
what quality it has and if there is any realistic way of  building your
own adapter or what have you.  Some company might build a dvi -> hdcp
adapter since your not trying to decrypt a signal thats probably
something that would be allowed.  Still that company would likely need
to sign a non disclosure agreement and pay various licensing fees and
what have you.  In fact trying to reverse engineer the encryption might
in itself be breaking the law (DMCA) in America anyway..

In summary, I doubt building a converter is going to be practical.  A
converter, if one exists, or a video card like you said seems the best bet.

A quick search of hdcp on newegg returns one result (when only looking
at video cards.)

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=14-131-199&depa=0
$174 -- powercolor video card.
Integrated 165 MHz TMDS transmitter (DVI & HDCP compliant)

Will this work?  Will this work in Linux?  I have no idea to either, but
perhaps its worth a closer look.