[mythtv-users] upcoming movies with *** or more?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Tue Jan 25 23:08:48 EST 2005

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 10:43:43PM -0500, Dan Christensen wrote:
> I like the fact that mythfrontend and mythweb allow you to see a list
> of the upcoming movies, and select some for recording.  But the list
> is pretty long, and I was wondering if there was a way to limit the
> list to movies with at least a certain number of stars.  I see that
> the stars rating is stored as a separate field in the database, so
> I was hoping this would be an easy thing to search on.
>
> A related question is whether it is possible to automatically record
> all movies with at least a certain number of stars.  Might be a nice
> feature to have...

I provided a patch to mythweb to do exactly that (search for movies by
star rating).   I don't think it's in CVS yet but hopefully will be soon.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/103682

You can apply it pretty easily yourself, as mythweb is PHP and does not
need to be compiled.

I also have another program in testing to do the latter (automatic
recording by various parameters) which can be used to record all movies
above a certain star rating and a lot of other stuff, but I am waiting
for more testing before deploying it here.   However, I did not put
in a specific feature for star rating (though you can do it) because this
actually isn't very practical if you have cable or satellite at least.
The number of movies -- even 4 star movies -- is typically so high as
to not make it practical.    Better to use the search from the patch above
and pick.   Or email me if you want to test the full blown system.

For my regular cable feed (no HBO etc.) I show about 5 or 6 movies of 3.5*
or more per day.  A 3* and above auto-record would be much larger.

A 4* and above search might not be out of the question.   In CVS Myth you
can also do a generlized SQL query to do this, though right now as I
look in the code it issues a diagnostic, but should still work.