[mythtv-users] MythTV not tuning or changing channels

Rutger Hendriks Loial at home.nl
Mon Jan 24 05:56:46 EST 2005

On Monday 24 January 2005 11:40, Didde Brockman wrote:
> While running MythTV (watching Live TV) set on channel "1", "ivtvctl
> --get-freq" reports the same frequency as when I switch to channel "2"
> in MythTV. Shouldn't this value differ between the various channels? It
> seems as if MythTV cannot interact with the card hence only tunes into
> one channel (which only consists of static). I have confirmed this by
> using "ptune.pl" to change the current frequency while watching Live TV
> and _then_ it actually changes the value returned by "ivtvctl
> --get-freq" and of course the channel is displayed.
>
> Can anyone fill me in on what's going on? I'm way lost and near the
> point of giving up as I have browsed the forums, mailinglists etc. to
> no avail.
>

> Kindly,
> Didde

Hi Didde,

I had the same problem, MythTV really didn't do anything it seemed, the
ivtvctl --get-freq never changed. I fixed it by instructing mythtv to use an
external channel changing program and I then wrote this program to run
ptune.pl and this worked like a charm
Probably we both failed to see a point, but as a dirty solution it might help
you.

here is my external program
$cat /usr/local/bin/mythchannelchange
ptune.pl --freqtable custom -c $1 2>&1 >>/tmp/chan

Hope this helps,

Greetings
Rutger