[mythtv-users] DVI to Sony HS420 series HDTV

Paul Miller paul at pinheiro.dyndns.org
Mon Jan 24 02:20:45 EST 2005

On Sunday 23 January 2005 3:53 pm, Brad Templeton wrote:
> Not clear on which situations you have tried.  Almost all DVD
> players and HD set top boxes (cable, satellite) today will have a
> setup uption to tell it if your TV is 16:9 or 4:3.   Have you set
> this, and which one works on your TV?   Whatever one works is the
> kind of output you should try to feed from your video card.

I do not have a DVD player or set top box to test with.  I've been
systematically (or perhaps randomly) trying various modes using
PowerStrip in Windows.  It appears that my hardware is very picky
about the total horizontal resolution.  If I'm off by a pixel, the
television goes blank.  The total vertical resolution is not as
picky.  (This is with my DVI->HDMI cable.)

> > I also tried using the AIW HDTV output cable (YPrPb) that came
> > with my card.  In Windows, I can output 720p and 1080i on this
> > cable.  It
>
> Alas, you should have done a search.  It's been reported by many
> that the linux drivers don't support the ATI component video
> adapter. (Or you have a cable?)  The real work of generating YPrPb
> is done in the driver, as you probably know most video cards
> normally do RGB, not YPrPb. TVs, unless they have VGA inputs or old
> style (4 or 5 pin) RBG component video, do not take RGB.

I knew the VGA connector was RGB, but I wasn't sure about the other
connector.  The DVI-I and RGB component video must be independly
controlled since I can connect my CRT to the DVI-I and HDTV to RGB
(in YPrPb mode) and they both display correctly.

> But what I am keen to know is, can you get 1080i video to display
> from this card!

There is a setting in Windows and it may be possible with the DVI-I
connector, but I don't have it working yet.  Here's what I have
working:

YPrPb (in Windows):
480p (720x480), 720p (1280x720), 1080i (1920x1080i)

DVI/HDMI (tested in Windows with PowerStrip):
480p (640x480) -- slight underscan
480p (720x480) -- overscan
720p (1280x720) -- overscan

The modeline settings (PowerStrip in Windows) are very sensitive...  I
may need to come up with custom resolutions to eliminate the
over/underscan problems, assuming my TV will tolerate it.

-Paul