[mythtv-users] DVI to Sony HS420 series HDTV

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Sun Jan 23 16:53:36 EST 2005

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 03:37:42PM -0600, Paul Miller wrote:
> I did quite a bit of messing around with the television and video card
> yesterday.  I believe that all HD sources must be in 16:9 format,
> regardless of what they are outputting to.  So, I think you are
> partially right with (c), but the television automatically adds the
> black bars on the top and bottom of the screen.  It must be capable
> of doing 1440 lines (though actually only displaying on 1080) for
> widescreen videos.  For letterbox videos, the user needs to press
> zoom to view it in fullscreen, otherwise there'll be black bars on
> all sides.

Not clear on which situations you have tried.  Almost all DVD players
and HD set top boxes (cable, satellite) today will have a setup uption
to tell it if your TV is 16:9 or 4:3.   Have you set this, and which
one works on your TV?   Whatever one works is the kind of output you
should try to feed from your video card.

> I also tried using the AIW HDTV output cable (YPrPb) that came with my
> card.  In Windows, I can output 720p and 1080i on this cable.  It

Alas, you should have done a search.  It's been reported by many that
the linux drivers don't support the ATI component video adapter. (Or
you have a cable?)  The real work of generating YPrPb is done in the
driver, as you probably know most video cards normally do RGB, not YPrPb.
TVs, unless they have VGA inputs or old style (4 or 5 pin) RBG component
video, do not take RGB.

> launched, the HDTV is scrambled and nearly solid fluorescent pink.

The scrambling is one problem.  THe funny colours you should expect by
feeding an RBG signal into a YPrPb input!

But what I am keen to know is, can you get 1080i video to display from
this card!