[mythtv-users] Which Window Manager?

Roy Murphy roy.murphy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 22:20:59 EST 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:39:35 -0500, M Smith <quaff at clippersoft.net> wrote:
> Sorry - I've always been curious - what's so wrong with KDE?  I have a
> Barton2500 w/ 512MB RAM on a combined frontend/backend box.  Are the
> lightweight WMs more for people with Epia boxes, and/or those that just
> want to try something else?  I'm just wondering if there would be any
> actual benefit for setup's like mine to switch to a lighter WM?

I usually use Gnome on my desktops rather than KDE, but I suspect they
have some of the same issues. It just takes a few extra seconds to
fire up the WM, it clutters up the desktop with panels and crap. I
never use the multiple desktops it makes available. It throws a lot of
crud into my home directory. It just dosn't seem to be what's needed
for this application.

I have a couple of ProGear tablet PCs around here and they run a tiny,
mostly unobtrusive WM which gives me a browser and an xterm. And
that's really all I need when I use those tablets.