[mythtv-users] [OT] New ATI drivers just released for Linux(32bit & 64bit)

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Tue Jan 18 02:03:54 EST 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 10:34:22PM -0500, Evil Nathan wrote:
>   But for a budget card (I have a 9000 in there right now) it seems the
> open-source drivers (kernel/Xorg) are the better choice.
>
>   But I could be wrong!

Hmm.  I could not get them to work, on a 9200se card I had.  (Since
returned.)

I experienced a couple of different problems.

    a) Colour inversion (but not Y channel).  I manged to fix that.
    b) Xvideo window only working to about 1600 pixels wide.  On the
       right hand side was the infamous purple (xvideo overlay colour)
       bar.

It was (b) that was the killer of course.   Do you have yours working
with the open source driver?  This was in December.

I suppose I have enough CPU that I could run things at 720p (my old TV
did not do 720p on the inputs) and run a deinterlace filter on the
1080i shows   However, the TVs tend to do a much better job of that
so you prefer they do that, and it is a lot of CPU to spend as well.

I presume myth is smart enough to not run a deinterlace filter when the
video is not interlaced, ie 720p or the very rare 480p.

My plan is to use randr and the mode-switcher to switch to 1080i on my
new TV only when needed, and stick at 720p and 480p for other video.