[mythtv-users] Which Distribution?

Roy Murphy roy.murphy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 11:35:11 EST 2005

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 15:04:27 +1100, Hamish Moffatt <hamish at cloud.net.au> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 05:48:34PM -0500, Roy Murphy wrote:
> > No distribution really does dependencies well. Let's
> > say some third party developer targets FC3 and sets
> > his dependencies to the version numbers in FC3. Some
> > user somewhere running FC2 wants to install it and
> > there are major dependency version clashes. Does that
> > mean the package *won't* work on FC2? Maybe, maybe
> > not. The package may not actually use features new to
> > the latest version.
>
> That's only an issue when an FC2 -> FC3 upgrade is a
> major undertaking. It shouldn't be and I don't
> understand why you would tolerate that.

I was just using FC2/FC3 as an example, but in my 10 years history of
Linux, I have had systems which grew from a distribution install to
something where I had complied software and modified the kernel(s) for
one reason or another to the point where it would have been a major
undertaking to upgrade a distribution and then fix the breakage that
resulted.

I also have some Linux boxes which only boot from HD and for which
upgrading means pulling the HD and pluggin it into another computer.

> All Debian upgrades consist of 'apt-get' to newer
> versions of individual packages; you are never required
> to reinstall, and a reinstall is never easier. So if you
> use third party packages which require newer base
> packages, apt-get will fetch those for you. No big deal.
>
> For those who aren't aware, apt-get is a Debian program
> originally.

I have political differences with the people behind Debian which have
kept me from trying the distribution. They are too ideological for me.