[mythtv-users] Which Distribution?

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Sat Jan 15 23:04:27 EST 2005

On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 05:48:34PM -0500, Roy Murphy wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 23:08:27 +1100, Hamish Moffatt <hamish at cloud.net.au> wrote:
> > That's not really a good sales pitch - any distribution that DOESN'T
> > handle dependencies well these days isn't worth the CD it comes on.
>
> No distribution really does dependencies well. Let's say some third
> party developer targets FC3 and sets his dependencies to the version
> numbers in FC3. Some user somewhere running FC2 wants to install it
> and there are major dependency version clashes. Does that mean the
> package *won't* work on FC2? Maybe, maybe not. The package may not
> actually use features new to the latest version.

That's only an issue when an FC2 -> FC3 upgrade is a major undertaking.
It shouldn't be and I don't understand why you would tolerate that.

All Debian upgrades consist of 'apt-get' to newer versions of individual
packages; you are never required to reinstall, and a reinstall is never
easier. So if you use third party packages which require newer base
packages, apt-get will fetch those for you. No big deal.

For those who aren't aware, apt-get is a Debian program originally.

Hamish