[mythtv-users] Skipping adverts in UK using DVB-T - supported ?

Ian Campbell ijc at hellion.org.uk
Mon Jan 17 09:09:55 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 12:47 +0000, Jules Gosnell wrote:
> is it just urban folklore, or is there not some sort of specific
> 'signal' that marks the beginning/end of commercial breaks. Is there not
> a similar mechanism for marking programmes, so that instead of working
> by timeslot and hoping that the schedule is tight, a recorder can just
> wait for the signal to start/stop the recording...

ITV (on terrestrial at least) has a little scrolling black and white
"barber's pole" type thing in the top right corner just before and after
the ads. I haven't seen it on BBC, C4 or Five though so I guess it is
ITV specific, or it is outside the displayed picture area on the other
channels...

When manually marking adverts before transcoding to DVD I've noticed
that the adverts are surrounded by a logo, often animated and show
specific, and that it wasn't uncommon for it to fade back to the film
instead of cutting with a blank frame -- I bet both of them are really
tricky to detect (just a gut feeling, I know squat about image
processing).

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell

Don't look back, the lemmings are gaining on you.