[mythtv-users] Component Video Output?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Sun Jan 16 20:23:44 EST 2005

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 07:11:42PM -0500, charlesrandle at cwjamaica.com wrote:
> I would love to achieve the same with my SDTV that has component inputs, my
> questions are:
>
> 1) Can this VGA -> Component conversion be done for SDTVs (Not HDTV) and if
> so is it worth it , in that will there be a significant increase in image
> quality ?

The jump won't be that big.  It may not be much at all if you still are
driving it with interlaced signals.

The funny thing is, in theory, for SDTV and DVDs, progressive shouldn't
really do any better than interlaced on a modern device.  They both send
480 lines, progressive just sends them twice as fast.  That can be a big
difference if you have a real 60fps source with fast moving objects, but
if your sources are SDTV (already interlaced) or DVD (24fps) there should
be no difference.

But often their is, because the TV isn't clever enough.  A clever TV
could just take the two half-frames and meld them together and play a
480p signal at 30fps on the display.  But they don't often do that.

Often with interlaced displays you see two things.   One is flicker.
That applies if the persistence of the phosphor is not enough for being
refreshed only at 60hz.    The other is the comb-effect.   The comb effect
involves a fast moving object where half the scan lines move before
the other half, so it looks like a comb along the edges.