[mythtv-users] What NOT to do to your Myth box...

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Fri Jan 14 23:47:43 EST 2005

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 07:14:09PM -0500, sschaefer1 at woh.rr.com wrote:
> How would this work in my case...
> I used to watch a show that aired between 1991-1993 called "Sweating Bullets" (aka "Tropical Heat", in Canada), and I were find and ask someone in an area where it is still being broadcast to record it using their Hauppauge PVR 250 or 350... I were to download it and watch, since it's not aired in my area.
>
> As I'm understanding you are saying it is a violation, but that it probably won't get much attention cause it's still publicly available (sort of). Am I understanding that correctly?

Pretty much, though it gets more complex internationally.  Canadian fair
dealing rights are not as strong as U.S. fair use rights, too.

However, in Canada there is also a special cable law that has allowed
people to distribute programs over the internet to other Canadians by
calling themselves a cable company.  Caused a bit of controversy.