[mythtv-users] Newbie Question(s)

BARKER, Paul paul.barker at orange.co.uk
Fri Jan 14 04:36:32 EST 2005

Hi

>Hmmm... However, the RT site provides the data (as far as I can see) as
>14 day "chunks" for each channel. There's no easy way to grab single
>days from the data which they are (very graciously) providing.

Yep that's right. Instead of asking mythfilldatabase to grab the info from RT
I use tv_grab_uk_rt directly like this:

tv_grab_uk_rt --configfile channels.xmltv --output data.xml --days 1

This results is 14 days of data, but it means that it's only downloaded once.
If you don't specify the --days 1 flag then you end up with the default of 14
days which means that you download 14 days of data 14 times.

It's pretty easy to get it into Myth :

mythfilldatabase --file 1 0 data.xml

The xmltv config file is just a list of channels, I think Myth auto generates
one in ~mythtv/.mythtv and names is sourceid.xml. Forgive me if I have that
slightly wrong since I'm at work away from my servers.

You could also use bleb (tv_grab_uk_bleb). I use a mixture of the 2 (bleb
does some channels RT does not - BBC3 BBC4 and Radio) and hand built xmltv
config files for each. I jut have a script that wraps it all together and run
it from cron on the B/E.

Initially I was a bit upset with RT for pushing 14 days of data in a 1 day
file but then as you point out, they're doing this for free so I think I can
live with it.

HTH

Paul

Important.
Confidentiality: This communication is intended for the above-named
person and may be confidential and/or legally privileged.
Any opinions expressed in this communication are not necessarily
those of the company. If it has come to you in error you must
take no action based on it, nor must you copy or show it to anyone;
please delete/destroy and inform the sender immediately.

Monitoring/Viruses.
Orange may monitor all incoming and outgoing emails in line with
current legislation.  Although we have taken steps to ensure that
this email and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that
in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure
they are actually virus free.

Orange PCS Limited is a subsidiary of Orange SA and is registered
in England No 2178917, with its address at St James Court,
Great Park Road, Almondsbury Park, Bradley Stoke, Bristol BS32 4QJ.