[mythtv-users] Happy...but picture is grainy

Maarten mythtv at ultratux.org
Thu Jan 13 22:28:40 EST 2005

On Friday 14 January 2005 02:26, John Johnson wrote:
> Try increasing the Bit Rate and Max. Bit Rate. Those will contribute to
> graininess (aka. artifacts). Therein lies one of the trade-offs.
> Graininess v. file size/processor load. Now that I think about it, the
> graininess you describe could be considered lack of grain. Consider a
> sand painting (very little compression), to a painting made with
> croutons (lots of compression).

Yes, but that grainyness can also be due to not having a strong enough input
signal.  I had that problem and I solved it by using a high quality antenna
amplifier.  But I use bt848 cards and they may have different specs as
PVR250s have.
If you know what to look for it's easy to see the difference between artifacts
(due to too low a bitrate) and analogue interference (stripes, snow, etc.)

Maarten