[mythtv-users] Using tv_grab_dvb for specific channels only?

Nick Morrott pvr at insidethex.co.uk
Tue Jan 11 04:23:34 EST 2005

Hi,

I have been experimenting with tv_grab_dvb 0.8 in order to fill in the
blanks that the uk_rt grabber leaves for BBC Radio channels, but have not
yet been able to work out how to just let it populate the XML file to import
into MythTV with *just* the channels I want i.e. BBC Radio 1-4 etc, without
it getting listings for every other channel it finds.

I run the grabber with './tv_grab_dvb -c -t 60 -s > dvbtest.xml' which
results in a couple of minutes in a file of ~3.5MB.

I have removed the channels I do not want in the local channels.conf for the
grabber and also removed the unwanted channels from chanidents - the result
of which is just having the chosen channels listed at the top of the new XML
file, but still the full set of program info. I'm hesitant to pass this file
to mythdatabasefill in case it overwrites everything, but as I am not a C or
Perl hacker I'm not wanting to spend ages looking through the source if it's
a simple option to pass to the grabber or database filler.

I think this would be a most useful extension to the program if it doesn't
already do this, but am not sure whether people already know ways of doing
this already. It must be possible also to take the fully laden XML file and
then selectively import only channels listings that are wanted - any tips on
this also gratefully accepted.

Cheers,

Nick