[mythtv-users] Using tv_grab_dvb for specific channels only?

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Tue Jan 11 05:02:19 EST 2005

Nick Morrott wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have been experimenting with tv_grab_dvb 0.8 in order to fill in the
>blanks that the uk_rt grabber leaves for BBC Radio channels, but have not
>yet been able to work out how to just let it populate the XML file to import
>into MythTV with *just* the channels I want i.e. BBC Radio 1-4 etc, without
>it getting listings for every other channel it finds.
>
>I run the grabber with './tv_grab_dvb -c -t 60 -s > dvbtest.xml' which
>results in a couple of minutes in a file of ~3.5MB.
>
>I have removed the channels I do not want in the local channels.conf for the
>grabber and also removed the unwanted channels from chanidents - the result
>of which is just having the chosen channels listed at the top of the new XML
>file, but still the full set of program info. I'm hesitant to pass this file
>to mythdatabasefill in case it overwrites everything, but as I am not a C or
>Perl hacker I'm not wanting to spend ages looking through the source if it's
>a simple option to pass to the grabber or database filler.
>
>I think this would be a most useful extension to the program if it doesn't
>already do this, but am not sure whether people already know ways of doing
>this already. It must be possible also to take the fully laden XML file and
>then selectively import only channels listings that are wanted - any tips on
>this also gratefully accepted.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Nick

Hi Nick,

Actually, it doesn't matter - mythfilldatabase will just reject items in
the dvb scrape that are not in the channel list - specifically, it uses
the xmltvid to do this - just make sure your xmltvid in the channel
table matches the entries you get from the guide, and it will do the
rest for you.

Cheers,

Richie