[mythtv-users] Are either of these tuners viable for use?

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Mon Jan 10 16:24:08 EST 2005

Tim Smoot wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I have built the system up and getting ready to start installing the
> OS/etc.
>
> Question is:
>
> I have 2 tuner cards, and I am not sure which one (if either) would be
> a viable option.
>
> Card #1 = ATI All In Wonder Pro PCI (OLD!) but it is in good shape!

Almost certainly not.

> Card #2 = CyberExtreme Bt878 based card with remote, FM/etc.

Well its a standard chipset, so I'd think it would work...  Of course
one can never be 100% sure until you try.  I'd recommend getting a basic
tv display program running like tvtime first.

> Should I use either of these or go looking for another option?

I'd give the second a try.  The cards that do mpeg 2 encoding in
hardware (hauppage 250/350) arguably make a cleaner system, but well
they are more expensive and you have this.  Then again you only have a
533 MHZ cpu so you may be forced to go to one of those.  If you went
with those, then you don't need a separate video card other than maybe
for the initial installation, unless it requires it to post or
something.  I don't know the details, as I don't have one of those cards.

Still you have card #2 and you can learn quite a bit before going all
out on whatever you decide..