[mythtv-users] Building front end only machines (KnoppMyth ?)

stan stanb at panix.com
Tue Jan 4 19:29:34 EST 2005

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 03:18:57PM -0800, Paul Bender wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 17:34 -0500, stan wrote:
> > > >

> > > Have you considered using network boot to install and configure your
> > > front end? Something like <http://wwww.linpvr.org>. In addition to
> > > pulling the boot image from the server, it pulls the configuration from
> > > the server as well.
> >
> > Does this work sort of like the Linux Terminal Server Project? If so it
> > would be worht setting up, as the front ends could be diskless.
>
> I am not familiar with how the Linux Terminal Server Project does
> things.
>
> MiniMyth from <http://www.linpvr.org> is completely diskless. Right now,
> it downloads the kernel, root file system and configuration from a TFTP
> server. Media directories for pictures, music and videos can be mounted
> using NFS or SMB. In addition, there are thoughts of adding support for
> NFS mounting the root file system.

That's close.

LTSP ises PXE boot, which gets it an IP address, then it does tftp to get a
minimal loader, and then gets the kernel. Everything else is done ive NFS
from the "server". Works like a charm. Once loged in to the diskless
machine, you are "on the host" for all user practical purposes.

> MiniMyth is tailored for Via EPIA M series motherboards. It does not
> contain support for other hardware.

Ues, that's why I asked. I don't have that hardware. LRSP supports a
variety of hardware, so I was thinking of looking into using it.

Thanks.

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin