[mythtv-users] Building front end only machines (KnoppMyth ?)

Paul Bender pbender at qualcomm.com
Tue Jan 4 18:18:57 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 17:34 -0500, stan wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 07:36:51PM -0800, Paul Bender wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 21:53 -0500, stan wrote:
> > > I've finally gotten (what I hope) to be a stable backend machine set up.
> > >

> > Have you considered using network boot to install and configure your
> > front end? Something like <http://wwww.linpvr.org>. In addition to
> > pulling the boot image from the server, it pulls the configuration from
> > the server as well.
>
> Does this work sort of like the Linux Terminal Server Project? If so it
> would be worht setting up, as the front ends could be diskless.

I am not familiar with how the Linux Terminal Server Project does
things.

MiniMyth from <http://www.linpvr.org> is completely diskless. Right now,
it downloads the kernel, root file system and configuration from a TFTP
server. Media directories for pictures, music and videos can be mounted
using NFS or SMB. In addition, there are thoughts of adding support for
NFS mounting the root file system.

MiniMyth is tailored for Via EPIA M series motherboards. It does not
contain support for other hardware.