[mythtv-users] Re: apt-get dist-upgrade rpm conflicts

Gerald Schepens schepens at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 2 06:30:13 EST 2005

You know, I have a similar issue.  I have apt--0.5.15cnc6-53.2.rh9.at
installed.

I used rpm to install kvim with --nodeps because it depends on vim, and
vim is not an installable package according to apt-get.  Therefore there
was no way for me to satisfy the dependency.  Never mind that I do have
vim installed; I guess that the RPM database doesn't consider any
particular vim package to be the one called for.

Here's what happens when I try to do an apt-get install vim:

Package vim has no available version, but exists in the database.
This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents
of sources.list
However the following packages replace it:
  vim-minimal
E: Package vim has no installation candidate

(In short, not satisfiable.)

Anyway, now anytime I do apt-get, I have the following set of nags:

 > apt-get upgrade

You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
  kvim: Depends: vim but it is not installable
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

If I actually do an apt-get -f install as the message suggests, its
brilliant suggestion is to remove kvim, and I don't wanna!  I love vim.

Is there any way to get the RPM database to shuddap about vim already?