[mythtv-users] hardware setup capable of what i want it to do?

Laurens Timmermans Lauwe at planet.nl
Mon Feb 28 15:45:56 UTC 2005

I want to start a htpc-project using mythtv, but i have a few questions:

the hardware-setup as i am planning on using:
*MSI nforce1-based motherboard with 256 MB DDR-memory
*Amd Duron 800 Mhz CPU
*Hauppauge PVR-350
*DVD-rom player

1. if i get a Hauppauge PVR-350 will i be able to watch dvd's through it's output on my tv ? (i read somewhere it can't because of protection/encryption, but i read somewhere else that it can through the framebuffer and software decoding (is my machine capable of doing this?)).

2. can i play the myth-games (snes emulator etc..) through the 350's framebuffer?

3. i don't need any other videocard or anything if i would be able to use the pvr-350?

4. how much better is the pvr-350's tv output compared to the tv-output of a gf4mx400 for example. (in other words, would using the gf4mx440 with it's tv-out + a pvr250 or pvr500mce be just as good/a better solution)?

tnx,
     Laurens