[mythtv-users] Serious concerns about LiveTV Ringbuffer chang es - a Q for develo pers

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sat Dec 31 15:56:16 EST 2005

On Dec 31, 2005, at 12:29 PM, Steve Adeff wrote:

> I'd still think it would be worth paying the $500 for a UPS for
> that system,
> save yourself the hassle of a power outtage destroying some of
> those drives.
> Happened to me once and thats why I use a UPS now =)
>
> Speaking of APC... I might have a job interview with them next
> week... I don't
> know how this helps, but having been unemployed for a few months
> I'm excited
> =D

I just set up an APC Smart-UPS SC1500. Tells me I have 63 minutes of
battery at 100% charge. USB plug & play was nice. Just install the
software, configure and go. I got it for around $350. I can also get
a bunch of dumb (cheap) UPS's for my other boxes and use this one to
shut down other systems when it detects the power is out after X
minutes. It's also nice to get emails telling me when the battery
needs to be replaced or that the power went out, came back on, etc.
Great investment for peace of mind.

Are you interviewing in RI? I live relatively close to APC's HQ.