[mythtv-users] Important information concerning DataDirect's outage

Chad Jannusch bgmncwj at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 17:52:05 EST 2005

On 12/30/05, chris at cpr.homelinux.net <chris at cpr.homelinux.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 10:47:25AM -0600, Chad Jannusch wrote:
> > Watch out with that though, because as right now, I still can't get any
> data
> > from Zap2it (DirecTV - Champaign, IL), and mythfilldatabase seems to
> clear out
> > everything else with the "correct" No data info. So you might end up
> loosing
> > the data you already have.
>
> Does it connect if you run the mythfilldatabase manually?
>
> It occurred to me that they might be trying to "load balance" by simply
> capping the number of simultaneous connections, so that those who are
> still using the default connection times (and therefore swamping the
> service at peak times while leaving it idle at other times) get served
> on a lottery basis.  My mythfilldatabase runs at 3:05pm Eastern and has
> NEVER MISSED A SINGLE DAY during all of the times people are reporting
> Zap2It to be broken.  FWIW, the downloads happen faster if you avoid
> the peak periods as well.
>
> --
> Joke template: Three guys walk into a bar. One of them is a wee bit
> stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability.

Well I'm actually in Charleston. Good Ol' EIU, but we get the Champaign DTV
schedule. And to answer Chris, yep, I tried mythfilldatabase just from the
console as well, Zap2it just kept feeding me 8kb data files with nothing of
use (I'm assuming they were full of 'No Data' entries or somesuch), around
12:30 today (it's been out since around 8am yesterday) the Zap2it started
giving me listings again. So all is well. I'm assuming it was related to the
problems they've been having the past couple of days. As far as the load
balancing theory, I'm not too sure, I even tried to create a second account
with listings from a nearby cable provider and that wasn't pulling in
anything either.

--Chad