[mythtv-users] Standalone VFD/LCD recommendations?

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Thu Dec 29 02:32:51 EST 2005

I'm looking for recommendations on an add-on VFD or LCD display for my
MythTV box. Most of the relevant threads I've looked at deal with
cases with built-in displays, unfortunately. My criteria:

* Fits into a 5.25" drive bay.
* Readable 8' away in the dark.
* As many lines and columns as is practical while complying with the
  previous two criteria.
* Prebuilt; I don't want to have to solder.
* Cheap as possible.
* Usable hard buttons and status lights (a red light to indicate that
  a recording is occurring, for example) would be nice, but not

Suggestions? I've seen the Crystalfontz and Matrix Orbital displays,
but it's hard to tell online how readable they are.