[mythtv-users] Dual PVR-150's controlling 2 identical cable boxes

John P. Mitchell john at cepros.com
Tue Dec 27 16:27:02 EST 2005

obscure information. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've come one step closer to a completed MythTV install by ordering an
> IR Blaster from www.irblaster.info <http://www.irblaster.info> and a
> PVR-150 + IR receiver & remote.  I will be controlling a GI CFT2254
> cable box with it.  I think I understand everything I will need to do to
> get this system up and running, but I am curious - will it be possible
> for me to add a second PVR-150 connected to an identical CFT2254 and
> have them change channels independently via lirc?  I'd like to use one
> of the tuners for live television, while still having the option to
> record via a second cable box at the same time.

    You should be fine but you will need two SEPARATE instances of lircd
running. Also, my experience has shown that you do not want both
instances of lircd changing channels at the same time. On my system if
they change channels at the same time both instances of lircd die and
only about half of the IR commands make it to the cables boxes. I solved
this by having one of the channel change scripts sleep three seconds
before changing the channel. This might not work so well for you if you
use live TV alot, which I hardly ever do.

> Just curious if I'll need to source more hardware when I reach this
> point in my project.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> ~o411

Regards,
     John P. Mitchell <john at cepros.com>
     Email Sticker: My Boss is a Jewish carpenter
     http://www.GoboLinux.org | User #00010110