[mythtv-users] Powering off computer as non-root

R. Geoffrey Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Dec 27 14:44:54 EST 2005

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 01:58:15 +0000, Piers Kittel wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>Mythfrontend is set to turn off my computer using the command "halt".
>Mythfrontend is run as an non-root user - in this case user "piers" - so
>when I try to exit MythTV, and I select "Yes, exit and shutdown" - it
>jsut says "Command not found".  Obviously this command isn't available
>to non-root users.  So how do I enable the user "piers" to be able to
>shut down the computer without opening up too many obvious security holes?

put a copy of the program in /home/piers or /home/mythtv as applicable and
chmod it so that user 'piers'  or 'mythtv' can execute it.

If user mythtv "owns" mythfrontend, then only mythtv and root will be able
to execute the shutdown.

Geoff

R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury at mandamus.org
Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638