[mythtv-users] Slave Backend woes

Kyle Gordon kyle at lodge.glasgownet.com
Sun Dec 25 18:51:47 EST 2005

On Sunday 25 December 2005 21:57, John Andersen wrote:
> On 12/25/05, Kyle Gordon <kyle at lodge.glasgownet.com> wrote:

> > The MBE is Debian Sid at 172.24.32.10 and the SBE is at Ubuntu Breezy at
> > 172.24.32.8. I have 172.24.32.10 in the Master Server IP address, and .8
> > in the IP address for mine (the box is called 'mine' :-) LiveTV used to
> > work just fine on Mine when it was pulling the data from the MBE, but not
> > now that it's a local source.
>
> That last sentence is worrysome...
>
> Your mythfront end on your remote machine (mine) should not even know about
> the mythbackend that resides on the same machine (mine).  It should
> only know about the master backend.
>
> Further:  the line " Could not connect to server "" @ port -1"
> should have something in between the double qoutes.  This
> speaks to a configuration problem in the front end.

I dunno, the frontend doesn't exactly have much to configure. The database
connection works fine, and so do all the recorded media collections. Weather
and mythbrowser all work fine as well.

Having stopped the slave backend, the frontend refused do anything, even
though it has the MBE set as the Master. I've gone munging in the database,
and edited BackendServerIP for this host to be the MBE, and it appears to be
working now. Hint: "IP address for $hostname" is _not_ a good descriptor for
the Master Backend IP in mythtv-setup. MasterServerIP has been left at the
MBEs address for Null hosts.

I need to reload the MBE in order to recognise the new slave again, but I'll
do that in the morning after this recording.

Thanks for giving me a pointer :-)

Regards

Kyle
--