[mythtv-users] Slave Backend woes

John Andersen jsamyth at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 16:57:50 EST 2005

On 12/25/05, Kyle Gordon <kyle at lodge.glasgownet.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm in the process of setting up a Slave Backend, using the exact same type of
> card that's in my Master Backend. So far MythTV has been exemplary.
> I've set up the database connection, along with the (hopefully) relevant bits
> in mythtv-setup, and mythbackend starts and connects just fine. Mythweb
> status page shows that I have two encoders, so it looks like everything is
> successful. However, when I go to watch LiveTV on the slave backend (it's my
> desktop computer), I get this from mythfrontend...
> 2005-12-25 15:45:21.496 Connecting to backend server: (try 1
> of 5)
> 2005-12-25 15:45:21.511 Using protocol version 15
> Connection timed out.
> ASSERT: "i <= nodes" in /usr/include/qt3/qvaluelist.h (373)
> 2005-12-25 15:45:21.601 RemoteFile::openSocket(control socket):
>                         Could not connect to server "" @ port -1
> 2005-12-25 15:45:21.601 RemoteFile::openSocket(ringbuffer data socket):
>                         Could not connect to server "" @ port -1
> 2005-12-25 15:45:21.601 RingBuffer::RingBuffer(): Failed to open remote file
> ASSERT: "i <= nodes" in /usr/include/qt3/qvaluelist.h (373)
> (repeated)
> 2005-12-25 15:45:21.832 Disable DPMS
> File not found: QUERY_RECORDER 2
> 2005-12-25 15:45:21.835 LiveTV not successfully started
> and also the scheduling system behaves as if it only has one tuner available.
> I find it weird that mythbackend works fine on the slave machine, but
> mythfrontend fails like this. I can use mythfrontend to view recorded media
> just fine on the slave, so the connection is working.
> The MBE is Debian Sid at and the SBE is at Ubuntu Breezy at
> I have in the Master Server IP address, and .8 in
> the IP address for mine (the box is called 'mine' :-) LiveTV used to work
> just fine on Mine when it was pulling the data from the MBE, but not now that
> it's a local source.

That last sentence is worrysome...

Your mythfront end on your remote machine (mine) should not even know about
the mythbackend that resides on the same machine (mine).  It should
only know about the master backend.

Further:  the line " Could not connect to server "" @ port -1"
should have something in between the double qoutes.  This
speaks to a configuration problem in the front end.


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list