[mythtv-users] Shuttle Barebones Case SN95G5 V3 or SN25P

Robert Denier rdenier at finiteinfinity.org
Sun Dec 25 15:30:29 EST 2005

Some drives produce more heat than others, and it may be possible to have them
spin down sometimes.  CPU and graphics cards can contribute as well.

On my shuttle cube, which is a little old now, I noted that cutting away the
grid in the back that covers the big fan seemed to reduce the noise level a
little.  It should help with heat issues a little as well.  The idea is that
the fins of the heat pipe system already restrict the airflow enough without
going through the secondary grid work, which likely add to the noise level by
causing a disturbance in the air flow.

Obviously this will void your warranty, and there are no gaurantees you will
be happy with the results.  I used a dremel cutoff wheel to do it, but if you
do that I recommend safety glasses and a dust mask.  You will also need to be
careful not to get aluminum dust inside the case, and to use some compressed
air to clean any out that does get in.  It is probably a good idea to remove
your motherboard before starting as well.

Disclaimer:  This is not really a recommendation, just a mention of something
that worked for me somewhat.  Doing this might break something.

-Robert