[mythtv-users] Help!! My system has crashed (maybe OT?)

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Sat Dec 24 07:35:51 EST 2005

> The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:
>
> Device: /dev/hda, 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
>
> For details see host's SYSLOG (default: /var/log/messages).
>
> You can also use the smartctl utility for further
> investigation. No additional email messages about this
> problem will be sent. ============================
>
> Now the system boots past udev, etc as far as the graphical
> rotating hour
> glass which just sits there rotating.

That error message sounds like you have had a drive failure. First thing I
would try is to download and burn the drive diagnostic disk from your drive
manufacturer and make sure that the drive is still good. It will likely find
that one or more sectors of the drive are no longer readable. If you have
only had it running for a year there is a good chance that the drive is
still under warrenty.

If the drive is still good then I would recommend a fresh start with a
format and reload.