[mythtv-users] Help!! My system has crashed (maybe OT?)

Dave Ansell dave at theansells.com
Sat Dec 24 05:17:29 EST 2005

Hi,

      I installed my MythTV about a year ago (FC3 using Jarod's guide) and
it has been excellent and stable ever since.

     I suppose it was bound to happen at christmas :-(  but I went on
holiday, there must have been a power cut and Myth backend did not come back
up.     Not sure of the exact sequence of events but I got this system
e-mail during the same period:

 Jarod's guide

==========================
This email was generated by the smartd daemon running on:

   host name: mythtv.home.theansells.com
  DNS domain: home.theansells.com
  NIS domain: (none)

The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

Device: /dev/hda, 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

For details see host's SYSLOG (default: /var/log/messages).

You can also use the smartctl utility for further investigation.
No additional email messages about this problem will be sent.
============================

Now the system boots past udev, etc as far as the graphical rotating hour
glass which just sits there rotating.

I realise this is probably some fault/corruption with FC rather than MythTV
as such, but you guys have been so much help when I set the system up I was
hopeing for some pointers.

I can't even get in to the system.   Tried booting to other installed
kernels, same result.  Can't remote in.

What is the best recovery/debug method, hopefully without total loss of
MythTV recordings!

Many Thx,
Dave