[mythtv-users] SATA & FC4 question

ffrr ffrr at tpg.com.au
Fri Dec 23 03:04:12 EST 2005

Neil Bird wrote:

> Around about 22/12/05 13:25, Kirk Grell typed ...
>
>> I've purchased hardware for my MythTV backend and plan
>> to install Fedora Core 4.  The drive I bought was a
>> SATA drive (Maxtor).  For anyone who has installed FC4
>> on a single SATA drive, did you run into any issues?
>

>   I just upgraded my FC4 boot drive to be a SATA one;  the only issues
> you're going to have are with respect to support for the SATA chipset
> on your mobo. I say this without pretending to be an expert or
> anything :-)  I just had a read-around before plumping for a couple of
> SATA drives.
>
>   Gut feeling is that with FC4 (+updates) you shouldn't have any probs.

You are right about the SATA chipset.  Mine installed and worked, but
then file system corruptions crept in.  The SATA chipset was a si3112
and they are apparently notorious. A BIOS update then setting one of the
parameters to an EXTREME setting, finally stopped the errors, but then
made it interfere with the data coming from my DVB-T card, causing video
corruption. They seem to fight over the PCI bus.

This was on an NF7-S motherboard with nForce2.  Hopefully things are
better now...