[mythtv-users] Please spend the time to write or call your representatives

Jonathan Tidmore jtidmore at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 22:50:01 EST 2005

On 12/22/05, Mark H <mrhegstrom at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is in response to a thread on knoppmyth.  Thought I'd share my
> thoughts about the new analog hole bill and the future of DVR's:
>
>    As the old hardware dies off (VCR's, current DVR's) then it will be
> illegal to record anything.    From what I heard from an interview with the
> guys at EFF,  almost anything that is created is automatically assumed to be
> under copyright unless they specifically state that it is not.
>    There will be no more fair use at all.   It will be illegal to time
> shift (skip commercials) which is the main source of their complaint.   If
> this happens I forsee everthything will be pay-per-record/on-demand.  You
> pay your cable company for the right to receive the channel and view its
> content (shows),  you will pay again to be able to record it/re-watch it and
> it will still have all commercial content. No time shifting other than
> pause.   On top of that the content will auto-expire after a certain # of
> days unless you pay again.    This is where we are headed everyone.

Realistically though, how many people out there would put up with this?  I
watch TV now because its easy and cheap.  You make it complicated with
multi-tiered pricing and a multitude of restrictions, TV loses much of its
value.  I will look for entertainment elsewhere.  When consumers stop
viewing their awful and overpriced content, that'll be the day they'll start
to switch back to the current model which has made them trillions and
trillions of dollars over the years.  There's only so far corporate greed
will go before consumers get turned off and look elsewhere for
entertainment.

I'm sorry, but Desperate Housewives isn't worth the hassle.

--
Jonathan Tidmore