[mythtv-users] Help with xorg.conf

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Dec 22 12:20:45 EST 2005

Allan Wilson wrote:

> Thanks Michael, that was just a flub I meant 1080p.

Yeah.  I was just mentioning the name of the standard so you and Steve
were on the same page when I said that your TV /is/ a 1080p--as you claimed.

> I know I shouldn't use the svideo out but it's what I've got now and I
> am going to be adding a new box that will use a better connection.
> Right now I mainly want to get my desktop and myth full screen on my
> 16:9 screen. I haven't played with linux at all on a 16:9 screen can
> someone give me some pointers I am suffering from to much info I
> think. Like how do I find my HorizSync or my VertRefresh. What
> modeline are you using and what lead you to using it? Thanks for the help

Just connect a VGA cable.  Any video card should have one, and you'll
get much better picture quality as a bonus (even at 640x480, the PQ will
be better than a PVR-350's S-Video out--but you might as well go to a
higher resolution).  Since your TV (and all other 1080p TV's I've seen)
doesn't support 1080p60 via DVI, you'll want to use VGA in your final
1080p configuration, anyway, so you might as well start moving that way.

IMHO, you're just wasting time trying to get widescreen support with
S-Video/Composite (which are designed for 4:3 NTSC--especially in the
NVIDIA drivers).  Since your final setup will be using VGA, you might as
well go there now--even if you don't do 1080p--because it's easier to
configure.

However, if you really want to use S-Video, you can make it work by
selecting the appropriate "scaling" mode on your TV (i.e. send a 4:3
signal and make your TV stretch it).

Mike