[mythtv-users] MythMusic skipping

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 21:22:17 EST 2005

On 21/12/05, David Peeters <dpeeters at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've searched several boards and haven't found any usefull information
> regarding my problem.
>
> when playing .mp3s or ogg files in MythMusic, I get annoying skips every so
> often (usually one or two every 2 to 5 minutes). The skips are barely a half
> second long and its just like the audio stops playing for a moment.
>
> I'm running KnoppMyth R5A22 and using a Sound Blaster Live! SPDIF output.
> The soundcard is not used by MythTV playback since I have a tuner card for
> that.
>
> CPU usage does not seem to effect the skipping (It still skips with a 90%
> idle cpu).
>
> I've tried lower bitrate mp3s, but they have the same problem.
>
> mp3s don't always skip at the same place, so it's definately not a problem
> with a skip in the physical file.
>
> Does anyone know of a possible reason this could happen? I haven't seen
> anything strange in the logs, but I'm not experienced with linux so there
> might be something there and I wouldn't know it.

I've posted a couple of times about skipping in MythMusic (I get skips
of up to 20s randomly during playback). There were no replies, so I
figured no-one else was seeing this issue. I am upgrading a system in
the next few days to see whether a new version of Fedora/libraries
will cure the problem. The machine I see this on is running FC2 and
MythTV 0.18.1 from atrpms.net.

I am also outputting via SPDIF, but I got skipping previously when
using analog output too. The files play fine on my Windows machines in
WinAMP, so again like you, I'm pretty sure the files are good (tried
with 44.1kHz and 48kHz files). Again, no messages in the logs and no
problems when playing the files back in xine (also via SPDIF)

Nick