[mythtv-users] Guide 'Unknown' channels

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 16:54:07 EST 2005

On 12/21/05, Kirby Bakken <kirby at magnaspeed.net> wrote:

> I receive all the 'major' (CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox, etc) channels on HD (I
> have just an HD5000 card), but for most of the HD channels I get, the
> guide shows 'unknown' as the content.  I KNOW that the HD content is the
> same as the NTSC content...  How can I cause the channel guide to show
> content instead of Unknown?  Is there something I'm doing wrong with my
> channel guide setup?  (all the other channels show up fine).  Or do I
> need to 'fudge' things and associate one channel's information that I AM
> getting with the 'unknown' channels?

Perhaps the XMLTVID is missing from the Channel data.  At least, that's what
I have found when the guide shows 'unknown'.

When this happens, I enter mythtv-setup, on into the Channel Editor, and add
the XMLTVID by typing it into the space provided.

Ah Ha!  You ask: Where can you find the XMLTVID?  Well, one easy way is to
bring up the list of channels using the website http://zap2it.com, enter the
zipcode appropriately, and wait for the channel listings to appear.  Then,
if you hold the mouse pointer over the channel call-letters (at the left of
the screen), the XMLTVID will appear, somewhere.  Using Mozilla, it appears
at the bottom of the screen.  With Opera, it appears in a little box under
the mouse pointer.

As soon as enough mythfilldatabase runs are completed, you should start to
see fewer 'unknown' boxes and more boxes with program information.

One last thought:  When I use zap2it, the analog stations are always listed
first.  So, I have to click on the 'CLICK HERE TO VIEW YOUR LOCAL DIGITAL
STATIONS' line to get the digital stations.

--
MM