[mythtv-users] Help getting KWorld/VStream XPert DVB-T to work

Joacim J jocke4news at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 15:51:54 EST 2005

On 12/21/05, David Watkins <watkinshome at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21/12/05, Joacim J <jocke4news at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I missed the beginning of this thread, but have you looked at which
> > > dvb modules are being loaded?
> > >
> > > /sbin/lsmod
> > >
> > > For my Nova-t card I had to manually modprobe cx88_dvb (I think that's
> > > the correct name) because the wrong [blackbird] module was being
> > > automatically loaded.
> > >
> > > It was the
> > >
> > > /sbin/modprobe cx88_dvb
> > >
> > > command that created the /dev/dvb/adapter stuff
> > >
> > > ( look in dmesg for errors / success messages)
> > >
> > > I'm not saying that this is the module for you (though it's worth a
> > > try) but you need to find out which module it is you need, and check
> > > that it is being loaded.
> > >
> > > HTH
> >
> > David,
> >
> > Here I got something interesting.
> >
> > 1. Fresh booted machine and the dmesg is not showing any DVB info
> > 2. Result of /sbin/lsmod command is below
> > 3. Executed "/sbin/modprobe cx88_dvb"
> > 4. dmesg now show som interesting output, see below at the end. And I get:
> >
> > [root at HTPC ~]# ls -al /dev/dvb/adapter0/
> > total 0
> > drwxr-xr-x  2 root root    120 Dec 21 12:26 .
> > drwxr-xr-x  3 root root     60 Dec 21 12:26 ..
> > crw-rw----  1 root root 212, 4 Dec 21 12:26 demux0
> > crw-rw----  1 root root 212, 5 Dec 21 12:26 dvr0
> > crw-rw----  1 root root 212, 3 Dec 21 12:26 frontend0
> > crw-rw----  1 root root 212, 7 Dec 21 12:26 net0
> > [root at HTPC ~]#
> >
> > Now, how can I make persistent? I mean so the module 'cx88_dvb' is
> > loaded every time.
>
> Well for me, all I had to do was prevent the cx88_blackbird module
>
> I notice that you've also got the blackbird module in there so maybe
> that would work for you too.
>
> As you've found out loading the cx88_dvb on top doesn't seem to cause
> any problems so you can just force it to load.
>
> As for how to do either of the above, I'm afraid I'd have to look up
> the way I did it tonight and I suspect it's distribution dependent
> anyway.  I'm running Fedora Core 3, so if you don't get any joy before
> I get home tonight I can let you know my solution.
>
> Post back with the flavour of linux that you are using, and I suspect
> someone else here will be able to help you.
>
> In the meantime you could look at using /etc/modprobe.conf or rc.local
> or rc.sysinit (as described in Jarod Wilson's guide to mythtv on
> Fedora)

I have Fedora Core 4 with kernel 2.6.14-1.1653_FC4.

I have tried to add the following in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
/sbin/modprobe --remove cx88_blackbird
/sbin/modeprobe cx88_dvb

It seems that the cx88_dvb module is loaded and blackbird is not, at boot time.

Is this the correct way of doing this??

Earlier I did som testing with dvbscan, tzap and dvbstream and I get
some result that I haven't got before but no picture.

When running dvbstream with command:

./dvbstream -o -ps -qam 64 -cr 2_3 1018 1010 | mplayer -
it says:
Reading from stdin...
and nothing happens

If I have started
tzap "SVT1"
before (that puts out some data every second that says FE_HAS_LOCK)
and then run dvbstream with:
./dvbstream -o -ps -qam 64 -cr 2_3 1018 1010 | mplayer -
it also says:
Audiostream: Layer: 2 BRate: 256 kb/s  Freq: 48 kHz
but  no mplayer appears.

--
Regards
Joacim